"I will sing of Your mercies that lead me through Valleys of Sorrow to Rivers of Joy."
~Jars of Clay


My precious and magnificent blessings...

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Flowers instead of tombstones...

On Tuesday, I was celebrating... or mourning... or thinking about (how do you really describe that?) the unfortunate death of our last baby. She had passed in utero one year before. As I said in the last posting, the books all say that the actual day is anti-climatic and I must say that it was... until about 2:30p.

The door bell rang and I peered through the peep hole. It was a Fed EX guy (dirty dogs as my UPS employed husband would call them) who was standing there with a box. Wow - what a perfect day for my books to come, I thought. The week prior, I had ordered two books that I thought my little heart needed. Grieving the Child I Never Knew and I'll Hold You in Heaven. What timing, I thought. I may need these today.

But when I opened the door, the box was much too large to be holding any books. I signed the paper for the dirty dog and took the box in. As I opened it, I started to feel quite emotional ... I think it was because I knew deep down what was in the box and who they were from. Tears started to flow...

Inside were my favorite flowers... Gerber Daisies. Red, Orange, Yellow, and White. They were beautiful. I quickly tore open the envelope and skimmed it for the name. There it was... the friend's name I expected to see... just as I had thought.

The card read:
"Dear Brandy,
Something to cheer you up today as we remember sweet baby Faith. Although your heart is heavy, I am hopeful you will find celebration in the miraculous life you created. Love you..."

Have you ever had a friend like that? One who remembers not only all the good days, but the bad ones too? I know I am not good with dates so her fantastic memory astonishes me. Like I said, I knew before I opened the box who it was from... she is just one of those people... she has a special way about her. If I were to get a singing telegram at my doorstep, I would know her name would be sung at the end of the song before they even finished. She is the one who gave all my showers, has come to see me every time I was ever in the hospital, who calls my children on their birthdays, and who always sends the best cards - no matter the occasion. She is always remembering me, in all I do, and I felt happy that someone remembered Faith on her day too. Faith did exist - she was important - I do miss that baby and my sweet friend acknowledged my emotions in one sweet card and a bundle of flowers. Thank you, precious friend - you know who you are.

What I am getting at is this...
In the midst of what could have been a potentially, horribly, sad day with me sitting in a daze in front of Faith's grave sight, God sent a ray of sunshine my way. He reminded me that I am EXTREMELY blessed in this life. That even though sad times come (and go), I have so much to be thankful for. Thankful for great friends, thankful for wonderful family, thankful for the most precious hubby on earth, thankful for 2 beautiful children who are alive, healthy, and need my full attention, and thankful for my little ones who are already in Heaven waiting for me to come and hold them.

Things that happen in this life are temporary... we are made for a much bigger and better place. A place where there is no death and no tears. Where only happiness lingers. I am thankful for that place where one day I will get to meet my little ones... and our Maker. I am thankful to a God who loves me and my family so very much. And I am thankful to God for this important and much needed reminder that He brought to me last Tuesday...
I pray I never forget it.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18:
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen in eternal."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow B...gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. I love you dearly and I am blessed to have you in my life. Thanks for the sweet words...I love you dear friend.
TH

Angie said...

Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Thank You Father!