"I will sing of Your mercies that lead me through Valleys of Sorrow to Rivers of Joy."
~Jars of Clay


My precious and magnificent blessings...

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Is this a joke? Our Story - Part 11

Chris and I were blessed and we knew it. There was nothing that would make me feel otherwise. We had a beautiful marriage, two fantastic miraculous children, a family that loved us, a great group of friends, good health; all around, we had a full life. There wasn't much more that I would have asked for. Not even another child. I was truly happy inside and out for the first time in a very long time and I felt like nothing could rock my world like infertility had. The worst was over... it was a cake walk from here.

In April of 2006, Chris and I had decided to once again, let God be in complete control over our reproductive life. We were so trained in knowing that pregnancy did not come easy for us that the thought of another child wasn't really even an option. I told him that I would LOVE another child but if it didn't happen, I was OK with that. He said that he was open to it if God wanted it for us but that we would not do any medication, treatments, doctors - nothing. I was good with that. We prayed about it and gave ourselves a time limit. We'll be conscious of ovulation for 6 months and if after 6 months of trying, we have had no "luck", we would know that it was time to close the book on having babies and move onto to a new chapter in our lives. We felt that since we were both on the same page and since neither of us had any word from God that we shouldn't try, that we would proceed and see what happens.

May came and you will have to excuse the term, we went for it. I think I did an ovulation predictor kit but nothing else. We prayed, I elevated my hips, and we left it in God's hands.

I didn't really count down the days after that. I always started on a Saturday and figured that if a couple of Saturdays went by and I hadn't started, that I would do a test then. Chris was never one to want me to test any earlier than the day of my missed period, so I just waited. My hands were full with a 8 1/2 year old and an 18 month old anyway so I didn't have much time to think about it.

Two weeks came around and that Saturday afternoon I was lying on the living room floor playing with Savannah and it struck me that I had not started my period yet. I still had plenty of time left in the day but Chris was about to leave to run to the store and on his way out I told him to pick a test up. He actually asked "why" and I told him that I suppose to start that day and if I didn't, it would save him a trip later. He kinda smirked the smirk he always smirked when I told him to get me a test and went on his way. You see, me doing pregnancy tests was nothing new. We probably should have purchased some sort of stock in one of those companies. I wouldn't doubt if the amount of money spent on those tests topped the $1000 mark. It was nothing new and the results usually weren't either. Mind you, out of all of them, it was only positive twice in my life.

He returned and I went to the bathroom to do the test. Imagine my surprise when I pulled that stick out and before my very eyes could focus on the test window, there was a plus sign on it. I gasped and then just started laughing hysterically. Are you kidding me? Is this a joke? We tried for years and years to finally have our baby girl and this time, we actually tried for one month and got pregnant?!?! I thought to myself, "Lord, you sure do have a sense of humor". I imagined Him laughing at me... sitting up there watching, saying "I can do anything, My child. Anything I want. It just has to be My way - My plan - My timing because My way is the best way for you". I ran quickly out into the living room and started cracking up as I handed my hubby the test. Chris knew as soon as he saw me - he didn't even have to look at the test.

"You have got to be kidding me", he said.

"Nope", I said. " I guess my gut feeling was right. He does want us to have more children!"

We hugged and laughed and smiled and laughed some more. It was a really great day. Jace was in shock but happy. All he requested was that "this time it be a boy". (:

God showed Himself mighty and powerful once again and we praised Him over and over for it. How in the world could we deserve this kind of happiness? I was astonished and thrilled. More babies to come? Wow! What a tremendous blessing. I didn't think that I could have been any happier after Savannah's birth but suddenly, I was.

Another little miracle was on it's way...

No comments: